Pages

17 May 2014

How to Sew Fabric Bowl Covers

In the interests of saving on plastic wrap.... or for a pretty gift to give (with food beneath!)

 
Sew some bowl covers.
 
You need two layers of cotton fabric and fairly thin elastic.


I made a 12-inch circle for this template.  Of course, various sizes will work.  Pin your template over two layers of fabric.


 
Cut out two identical circles.



Pin the two circles with right sides facing together.  Sew all around the outer edge leaving a three inch gap for turning.
 



Turn right side out and press.  (See that three-inch gap below?)


On the right side of your fabric, sew all around the circle about 3/4 inches in.  You are making a casing for the elastic.


Thread through enough elastic that the sides ruffle up and there is some stretch (see below) to the cover.  Sew your elastic at the ends to fasten. 
Next, fold in the open edges of the fabric (the three-inch gap) and stitch closed.



 
Your covers are reversible and ready to be used.


8 comments:

Helena Oops said...

Thank you for this lovely post!
They are all so cute!
nice tutorial too!
have a fab sunday!

Anne Weaver said...

Great alternative to plastic wrap!! I've got a Craft Gossip post scheduled for this evening that links to your tutorial:
http://sewing.craftgossip.com/tutorial-fabric-bowl-covers/2014/05/20/
--Anne

elliesue said...

Thank you for this little pattern, it is a great idea to save on using plastic wrap.
Elaine

Lora Howard said...

I love the tutorial!!! I have used the disposable version of these but that's just as wasteful as plastic wrap. I think when I make some, I'll use the new cotton lament fabric available. That way you can simply rinse and reuse. Thanks for the inspiration!

Susan said...

This is awesome! I will remember to use 100% cotton fabric so they can go in the microwave. These will be a cute little housewarming gift for friends that finally bought a house.

Kelly said...

Wow, love this and can't wait to make. Any tips for an oval bowl with sides higher at the ends than along the sides? I guess I'll just have to give it a go!

Kelly said...

Wow, love this and can't wait to make. Any tips for an oval bowl with sides higher at the ends than along the sides? I guess I'll just have to give it a go!

Kelly said...

Wow, love this and can't wait to make. Any tips for an oval bowl with sides higher at the ends than along the sides? I guess I'll just have to give it a go!