Pages

16 August 2012

I Haven't Shampooed All Summer


It's not that I haven't washed my hair, I have just gone shampoo-free and used more prehistoric ingredients: water and baking soda. 

After one month

After the second month:

Ooh-er, somebody needs a haircut

I'd seen posts about "shampoo-free" all over the internet and I was skeptical whether I'd get grossly greasy hair?  I'm actually surprised how well this new formula works for me.  Because I'm frugal and because it's chemical free, I am going to keep it up.  Here is what I wash with:

SHAMPOO:  3 parts water to 1 part baking soda.  Shake up in a jar or plastic bottle.  Obviously it doesn't lather, so just rub it in then wash it off.

CONDITIONER:  6 parts water to one part apple cider vinegar.  (Yeah, my head smelled a little like salad viniagrette until I got the mix just right.) 

I "shampoo" every third day.  I have pretty dry hair to begin with, flat as a pancake.  I have seen "success" with all different hair types on the internet, so if you're curious, give it a try!

What I haven't found yet is a method to stop all these wiry grey hairs from sprouting on my head.  I'll go to sleep at night and the next morning there will be a nine-foot long grey hair that wasn't there the night before.  Scary.  Is my chin next?


6 comments:

Searching-4-Myself said...

I'd like to know what kind of hair you have; is it dry, oily, or normal? Do you think this technique would work with someone who has very curly and dry hair?

countrysidechristianacademy said...

When you find the secret to the gray hair thing, please share!!!

A Half-Baked Notion said...

Cynthia, I had tried the baking soda/apple cider vinegar off and on for several months, but used shampoo in between. For some reason, I was scared it would strip too much oil out of my hair (it's naturally dry, but I'm a lot older,too). I think I'll have another go. I was wondering if your girls use it, too. Two of my sons are still at home, but when I asked them to try it, they looked at me like I had two heads LOL!

Melissa said...

I went shampoo (product) free for a year when I bleached the curl out of my hair (accidentally of course.)My hair was fried and I spent three years growing it out. The last year of baking soda and cider vinegar really helped. My hair was less than managemable, I wore it in a long braid almost daily. My hair being thick and curly went waxy a lot, almost unbrushable. But when I finally got the last of the unhealthy bits chopped off my hair was curly and soft and healthy again. I found a shampoo and conditioner that doesn't have any of the usual chemical in it that my hair seems to like, but whenever I have too much buildup I use the BS/APV treatment to restore its lustre.
Your hair is gorgeous, I envy your blond and mostly straight locks!

Becky said...

wow...interessting...does it make the hair feel soft after?
also can you add a scent (aromatherapy oil??? ) to mask the vinegary smell??
thanks

Travis said...

Interesting, I'm a younger guy with long wavy brown hair and this is probably a lot less damaging than shampoo, your hair looks great so I think I'll give it a try, why not?