Pages

12 June 2012

Dollar Store Tshirt Disasters

I have fun making stuff, I really do.  But not everything turns out well or even slightly well.  I seem to be on a roll of un-well lately.

A couple of weeks ago I said I was working on a project with dollar store tshirts.  Um, I should have just saved my two bucks.


Everyone see the trick on Pinterest where you print something on your tshirt with Elmers glue, then dye the shirt?   

This was my result.  My alphabet is a big smear.

Or the one where you use Sharpie markers and rubbing alcohol to make these spot tye-dyes?

  This is how it looked after the first washing.

Since I'd dared to ruin two shirts that way, I had this idea to cover up the circles with fabric.  Only I thought of it after 11 pm when I really should not have been entrusted with scissors.  No two circles are the same size.

One technique did survive the rag pile.  I dyed the shirt, chopped off the boyish neck ribbing and sleeves and did several rows of shirring.


I have one more shirt disaster lurking in the sewing pile.  I think I'll try to salvage it into a dress, but I'll save that disaster for another day.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I am SO pleased to see a blog that makes all my attempts seem normal!THANKYOU!!!

shelleydf73 said...

Blunders like this keep us in check. Trial and error, as I say. That's ok though, you have hundreds of other DIY items that turned out beautifully! Love your page still! Shelley in Louisiana.

TracyKM said...

I kinda like the no two circles are the same! And I love the shirred top. Maybe that's how I could convince my daughter to wear the shirts I bought for her brother but were too small and she saw the word "Boys" on the package...

Becky said...

i just love your honesty...un cool things happen. and they happen to all of us...to let us see your uncool stuff, makes you all the more real...
i like the shirred neck...

Simple Simon & Co said...

Ha! I love this post!!!

I've been wanting to try that Elmer's glue thing but in my mind I just didn't think it would work out. Thanks for saving my t-shirts!

-liZ
ps---Love the quote from below about Earth without art just being "eh".

sewoeno said...

oh i hate when that happens! did you make sure to wash the shirts first and dry them without dryer sheets? sometimes that can cause bad dye jobs. i always bleach my mistakes out and start over, haha!