Pages

12 February 2012

Naartjie Kids Capri Pants Knock Off

I wanted a pair of these Smocked Waist pants from Naartie Kids, but I thought, "I could totally make that for less".

In theory, they are no different than making a tiered skirt (tutorial here).  You start with a pair of shorts then add two tiers, each wider than the last. 

I made my pants out of jersey knit, so a rolled hem on my serger finished the edges.  When you stitch jersey, the edges naturally ruffle up.

Shirred waist (elastic thread in the bobbin)

As you can see, I didn't quite achieve the capri length.

Love them anyway.  And love saving money.  I used a $3.00 fabric remnant to make these.

10 comments:

sharona said...

Super cute!! And she looks adorable, as usual :)
I would love to make a pair that I could wear. Maybe I will for the coming Spring/summer. Not in jersey though, it intimidates me. I will try them is a cotton fabric.

Christiana said...

Those are absolutely the cutest. Great job!

Christiana
sewamusing.blogspot.com

Melissa said...

They look great! I have a pink pair from Naartjie in 3-6 months! Never crossed my mind to make a pair! I have been loving the remnant section lately as well!

Beth said...

Theses are great! If my sewing to do pile was not so scary right now I would start on them right away.

KJ@letsgoflyakite said...

the originals and your version are super adorable, I had not seen this style before. Such a sweet model!!

Becky said...

i so like these pants...really cute on little v too...hugs

Practically Spent said...

I absolutely LOVE these. Thank you so much.

Melissa said...

They are gorgeous pants and kudos on the successful DIY or much less. I wonder if Wednesday would wear a pair?

Fun4Me said...

Absolutely adorable!

Rothco said...

Nice start guys...I went through the website and I found that you made decent point here. Keep up the topic that everyone can choose one of the best. Thanks........
Rothco