Pages

16 February 2012

Hanna Andersson Footless Tights Knockoff


Another online purchase I'd love to make, but at $16-a-pair-plus-shipping-plus-import-duties, I'd be paying about 90 bucks a leg.  So I satisfied myself with a knockoff. 

Good old Gymboree tights.  Local and affordable (er, on sale).

 Similar to making legwarmers, I cut out the ankle and toe section and discarded them.

I also amputated a pair of socks with pretty tops.

 ...folded the edges of the tights under and inserted the fancy sock top upside down. 

Too frugal to toss the left overs, I remade the socks with the leftoever mid-section from the foot of the tights (just like the legwarmers here). 


This was my test pair on my least favorite tights.  Now that I know the technique works, I'm on the search for some spring-y colored tights to make over.  Has anyone got a good source for spring colors?

6 comments:

April said...

Cute!!..The toe part can be made into a hair scrunchy--just clip the very end of the toe part off so that it is open. We recycle dead socks by making hair scrunchies--just cut them across and are aer set. For fancier ones, I hem the, or cut wider then turn inside out. but for play ones, just cut and go.

Caren said...

That's so funny, when I saw you dissecting them I was thinking "please don't throw them out - those would make such cute sock monsters!!!!" Hey - for tights for the girlies I go to the thrift store. Just can't do the $16 per pair thing, either :)

Momma C Designs said...

Love those! I made some baby legs a while back with the same technique but I can't wait to use it for my toddler's leggings!

Shanna
http://mommacdesigns.blogspot.com

Melissa said...

It never occurred to me to turn Wednesday's tights into the stretch pants she loves so much. Thanks for the heads up!

Nancy's Couture said...

I am loving your knock offs!!! This is perfect for my daughter's too small tights. Thanks for sharing!

Fun4Me said...

Great idea! Perfect for those tights from last year that are just a bit too short now.