Pages

29 January 2012

A Good Bonnet

I love a bonnet on a little girl.  Aside from the fact that it invokes my favorite Little House on the Prairie memories, it provides darned good sun protection too.

I have seen tutorials for these on the internet, but I needed actual pattern pieces to accomplish V's bonnet.  I found one in a Simplicity costume pattern. 

I lined the inside with a silk remnant that I had floating around.

The only thing missing from this pattern is the flap that protects the back of the neck.  Laura Ingalls always had one.  She had a smart momma.

5 comments:

LB3K said...

that is really cute. . .

Kathya said...

Lovely!!!
i think i have that simplicity pattern and after seeing your bonnet, i am feeling inspired although i have been avoiding the Big 3 for quite some time.
i will sure it this a try. too cute not too. :)

KJ@letsgoflyakite said...

Oh we are huge fans of Carolyn Ingalls in these parts. Your bonnet turned out perfect. I think I have the same Simplicity pattern - I plan to stitch up some for my girls who seem to think they are Mary and Laura!

MaryAnne said...

What a beautiful bonnet! I had a bonnet when I was a kid, and LOVED it!

shelleydf73 said...

This is so precious! And the fabric you used makes it even better!