Pages

24 November 2011

A Smell-Good House in the Winter

One thing I dislike about winter is being cooped up for so many months with the windows shut.  I don't like artifical air fresheners.  Some yummy baking makes a room smell good, but then there is the downside of me consuming all those extra calories.  So I do a few of these things:

#1 - Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and "bake" citrus slices in the oven at a really low temperature for hours.  The result is dried fruit which you can use as a centerpiece, but the baking time with the sweet smell is my favorite part. 

#2 - Buy a squirt bottle to fill with plain old water and 20 or so drops of essential oils. Spritz in any room or on pillowcases for a room freshener. 

#3 - Love your soap.  Sounds ridiculous, but I love the scent of these Dr. Bonner's soaps.  They're pure and come in scents like peppermint, almond, lavender and eucalyptus.  I fill the sink with some water and a few drops of this soap and leave it in the sink once I'm done my housecleaning.  The scent remains for hours. 

#4 - Throw a branch on the fire.  We live in an old treed area, so there are often broken pine branches on the ground at the park that we can scoop up.  I like the crackle and scent of one on top of our fire logs.
via

What smell good tricks do you use?


5 comments:

shelleydf73 said...

I put cinnamon sticks in a pot of water and slowly boil on the stove to replace moisture in the air and make the house smell good at the same time.

Renae said...

I so wish we had a fireplace here in MN. I love the smell of homemade bread. I definitely make more in the colder months.

kc said...

I looooove the smell apple-cinnamon candles! When we lived where there were pine trees, I'd often trim them & bring the boughs in to serve as centerpieces & they'd smell good for days. Of course, I had to put up with migraines due to pine allergy, but it was totally worth it!

Be careful burning pine - it builds up creosote in the chimney & could easily start a chimney fire. Help prevent chimney fires with diligent cleaning (or just burn only hardwoods, which don't send up as much pitch).

I like your idea of slow-cooking citrus - I've never done that before, but it sounds good!

Melissa said...

I love the idea of baking citrus slices. What a great way to use oranges that were sweeter looking than they tasted.

@ndrea said...

Anyone use an old fashioned feather duster? Put a few drops of those essential oils, you mentioned, down in the center of the base (the core). It lends a scent (orange blossom is my favorite) to the house as you dust, and helps the feathers trap the dust better. Watch out Swiffer.

Cheaper on the utility bill for us... put citrus slices, cinnamon, whatever in the pot from your automatic coffee pot, then run it with plain water. The stuff will sit there and steep for a couple hours with little energy used. And, most turn themselves off even, so no worries of forgetting it.

Orange and lemon slices in the dehydrator smell fantastic and can be saved to use later in a glaze for a ham or roast.

Thanks for the great ideas ladies! :)