Pages

27 November 2011

Make Your Own Coffee Cozy


When Mr. Dork came home yesterday with a takeout coffee, I snuck off with his paper sleeve.

I love when a free template falls into my lap.  Here's how I made my cup cozies:

Supplies:  Three layers of fabric (I used towelling for the insulating layer)
                  One big button
                  One thick hair elastic cut in half

I traced around my cardboard template on all three layers of fabric, leaving extra room for seam allowances.

I layered the fabrics with the insulator on the bottom and the two "good" fabrics with right sides together.

The elastic gets inserted into one side (loop facing inwards.  You can see its tail where my finger is pointing).  Sew all around the edge, leaving a few inches on the bottom open for turning. 

Once you turn right side out, topstitch all around.  Place your button, and you are done.  The hair elastic makes the cozy expandable for various cup sizes.

I like that they lay nice and flat for mailing.  I'm planning to send a couple of coffee gift cards and cozies in the mail for Chrismas.


7 comments:

Melissa said...

I made the exact same ones from a Starbucks sleeve! I just couldn't help myself after making all those mug rugs!
We should join forces soon! I miss my Sewing Dork co-conspirator!

MooMama said...

For those of us without the free template, might you give us the measurements? Pretty please? :)

TracyKM said...

I have such a hard time trying to sew together three layers so the right two are on the outside. Thanks for showing exactly how! I rarely get coffee out and about, but keeping one in the purse might be handy.

Jourdans said...

Is the button about 1.5-2" from the edge?

Channyne \ˈsha-nən\ said...

I just made one of these the other night for my hubby's Ben and Jerry ice cream containers. :) I'm using your stuffed animal sleeping bag tutorial today that I found via Pinterest for a gift for my niece - thanks so much!

Nicnax said...

I just love the fabrics you choose! so inspiring!

Shanna C. said...

Umm...yes please!

Shanna
www.mommacdesigns.blogspot.com