Pages

10 October 2011

Recycling Children's Books Into Envelopes


Paper was my first love.  Plus it's plentiful and obtained freely.

Yesterday I bought a few discards from the children's section at the library to make envelopes.  I've done this with magazine pages before, but the children's book pages are much sturdier.
(I don't mean to pick on Madonna again, but this is quite possibly the worst book I've ever read.  Artwork is great though!)

I chose illustrations I liked and cut the pages to the same size.

Fold the bottom up and apply glue to make an envelope. 

Trim the edges of the flap if you like.  They'll need tape or glue later to seal.


I also decorated the interior flap of some plain white envelopes with smaller illustrations from the books.

  I like them grouped together by theme; might make for some good gift giving.




7 comments:

Attilio said...

these are real pretty. given me some ideas for birthday invites...thanks cynthia
hugs becky
bpbajona at maltanet dot net

Momma C Designs said...

I never thought of this and I'm hooked!!!! I'm so pumped about this that I'm mad that it's night time right now. I want to go get some books. We've got a great thrift store here were I can get 3-5 books for about $1.50.

Celeste said...

What a great idea! I'm going to have to start doing this. Thanks!

whatthehay said...

I used to make envelopes from magazines when I was in Peace Corps. It was such fun! But, it never occurred to me to make them from kids books. Stationery is hard to find these days so this is a nice idea! If you make them a standard size to fit a 1/2 typeing paper page, you could make a writing set... print off a fun design on the paper (a cotton based paper would be nicer), cut in half, and package it up! Fun!

Sascha said...

Ugh, Madonna not so much a children's author, but King Bidgoods in the Bathtub?!? My favorite! I love that book so much. I guess if it was a library discard I could cut into it since I cherish our personal copy. I have a thing for all the books the Woods couple wrote/illustrated. What a clever way to use illustrations from old books.

Sandy said...

Recycling helps the earth because it could save animals, it could save birds, puppies and all kinds of them. A lot of the animals that recycling helps to save are the ocean animals. There are a lot of animals in the ocean that mistake trash for food. They're eating things that we could be recycling. Check out this video: http://youtu.be/-H51E2gwXwc

Melissa said...

Hey mama! Speaking of the gorgeous envelopes posted, THANK YOU! I received the package just a little while ago. Weirdest thing, there was no postmark on it, like I can reuse the stamps kind of no postmark. My mail is always taking a weird turn around here though, I think I might be getting my postal code wrong? Anyways, I loved the package, it totally made my day and a thank you will be coming your way as soon as Halloween is over. <3
p.s. I thought the one was a Madonna book but having only seen them in Homesense I wasn't positive. Artwork is gorgeous. Do you happen to know still what book the costume ball illustrations are from? So pretty! Anyhoo, thanks again it really did make my day (week)! xo