Pages

26 August 2011

T-Shirt Spaghetti - Back to School Sewing for Moms Week Begins

Okay, the kids are all decked out for the start of school next week- now let's focus on me.  First up:  recycling t-shirts into spaghetti accessories.


Jersey necklace:


Cut several long strips from knit/jersey fabric.  Mine are all about 42 inches long.  Some are very thin, others are slightly wider.

Stretch each piece with your hands.  The edges will curl up.  I call this t-shirt spaghetti.

Knot all the ends together.

Lop off the excess and wear....

...or use a scrap of fabric to wrap around the knot (bandaid style) and stitch to hold in place.

Instant white shirt karma.

I used the same technique to make a headband.  Instead of knotting the ends, I sewed them together for a smoother look.  

I cut the t-shirt spaghetti very thin and doubled it over to stretch around my head.  I sewed a simple jersey 'flower' (a length of jersey stitched into a haphazard circle) and topped it with a vintage button. 

Stitch it in place and enjoy.

10 comments:

Myrnie said...

Love these so much! The style suits you perfectly :)

kerrykatiecakeskeb43 said...

Ingenious!

KJ@letsgoflyakite said...

Agree with Myrnie, that style is perfect for you!

Avery's Mama said...

LOVE the headband! It looks so good on you.

LB3K said...

darling headband! love vintage buttons. . .

Renae said...

I've seen the necklace tutorial before, but I'm loving the headband. I'll have to give it a try.

sharona said...

Oh I love the headband, am going to make it.....thanks :)

Rachel said...

Love it! I always take the knit strips that are left over from cutting out patterns and turn them into head bands just by tying together and cutting off excess. this looks much better!

Image said...

I absolutely love this! t think this headband made only for you...This style perfect for you....Thank so much for sharing your idea..

Design hoodies online :)

Image Wearcw said...

wow so beautiful....DUDE! I would totally rock every single embroidery you could design with the mockup tool patterns alone! I am always check your post and I hope you continue your post and share ideas....Make Custom T-Shirt