Pages

08 August 2011

A Raggedy Ann Love Story

Three year old V likes to hear stories about the Raggedy Ann doll I had when I was a little girl.  She keeps asking where my old doll is, and I don't have the heart to tell her R.A. probably hit the landfill twenty years ago. 

So I told a lie.  I am going straight to jail, do not pass GO, do not collect two hundred.

I decided to make V her own Raggedy Ann doll and pass her off as my vintage love.  I had picked up a vintage Raggedy Ann sewing pattern back in the spring with admirable intentions.  So I got it out one night and there had to be about 80 separate pieces to the doll body pattern.  (Okay, maybe there was some wine involved in my counting.)  Hmmm.   Then I typed "Raggedy Ann Doll" in the Ebay search box.  Eight dollars sure was a lot less than all the money I was going to spend on the Tylenol I'd need to embroider her face and sew on those stripey stockings myself.

So folks, here we have a fake-handmade $8.00 Raggedy Ann with a questionable background.

I made her a tiny new outfit


And a doll quilt.  (Embroidered quilt square purchased here)


I repackaged her, and enclosed a counterfeit note from Grandma.
Dear V,
This was Mommy's Raggedy Ann doll when she was a little girl. Please take good care of her now.
xoxo  Grandma


Straight from the shelves of Ebay into a little girl's heart.  This Raggedy Ann has been loved and dragged around by the hair for days now (V's teaching her how to walk below).



And is V happy?  You betcha.  Please don't anyone ever read her this post.

9 comments:

Attilio said...

am laughing here...you could have dragged ann through a patch of mud, grass etc to give her the "original" vintage look too ;-)
or maybe "shared" a nice piece of choc with her, then she would've looked like yours when you were little!
my illaria likes her dollies too but is not yet too fussed about them, so will keep this secret for when i need it. thks
becky

bpbajona at maltanet dot net

sharona said...

Awww, love this story.... Do you make clothes for her other dolls too?

cookieandclaire said...

Your secret is safe with me. I mean let's be honest we tell them a fat man in a red suit breaks into our homes once a year and leaves presents- so what's a little tale about a doll?

Jane said...

Love this! Back when I taught first grade I used to make "George Washington's famous "hoe cakes." We would mix etc and then take them to our school secretary who would take them "to the teacher's lounge oven."

Well, the teacher's room had no oven and the hoe cakes which started as Jiffy mix ended up being Thomas Toaster Cakes hot from the microwave.

Fiction is perhaps the best part of childhood.

stacey said...

Oh Cynthia, that picture of them on the couch is SO precious! Look how V is looking so intently at R. Ann - that is so sweet!

TracyKM said...

Ah, sweet! My Raggedy Ann doll is in a LOT worse shape, LOL. My 8 year old HATES Raggedy Ann, and I wouldn't give it to my 5 year old since it's in such bad shape. But she's that way because of love! And hopefully V's will get the loved look too :)

Kristy said...

I have a Ragedy Ann doll too...she still sits on the shelf in my sewing room. :) I think she's precious and I love the new dress you made her!

p.s.no trouble commenting here! :)

Ayana said...

LOLOLOL!!!! I am cracking up over here (at work!). You are so funny. It looks like she is so in love with her doll.

Sascha said...

That is flippin' adorable. Maybe this one will stand the test of time and one day get passed down to her daughter.