Pages

04 April 2011

Reproduction 1940s Apron Pattern

When I saw this, I wanted it badly.
I nearly fell off my chair when I saw the asking price for the vintage pattern was $150.00.  I'm not kidding.
But you can buy a pdf reproduction of it from the same seller for $4.95.  So I did.
Hmmm.  I should have bought a girdle too.
That's my daughter looking less than thrilled that I've asked her to model something less than flattering. 
It's very difficult to find a vintage pattern that doesn't expect a girdle (women's waists on vintage patterns are often a full 10 inches smaller than the hips).  Even my Spanx can't help me THAT much. 
I think I cut the pieces carefully, but it never occurred to me to measure (that's why I'm a dork).  This apron would not have fit anyone over 5'2".  I had to alter those lovely straps into a halter from their original position. 
 I'm not a giant, but the waistline was at my nipples.  Very un-flattering.
I had such high hopes for this apron.  Eight yards of bias tape went into this baby.
Oh, I'll still wear it around the house and pretend I'm a glamorous Betty Crocker type, but I won't dare turn sideways in it.
(And may I say I'm glad I only blew the $4.95?)  You can buy the pattern here.

7 comments:

Melissa S. said...

Well, goodness, it was worth a shot, right?

Barbara said...

I can see why you fell in love with that pattern; it's totally cute.

As for the straps, I made an Indygo Junction apron that had similar straps, though they are attached to a back-of-the neck piece. (Your head goes through a hole) They were way too long and bagged out, looking silly. Unless you were exactly the right size, they would never fit correctly. Of course, I could have measured before cutting but, sheesh, who thinks of that?!

Momma B Designs said...

I didn't know about the contrast in vintage and modern patterns. It's good to know as I was going to start looking into some vintage patterns myself. I think it still looks pretty. I love aprons and I can see why you wanted to get that pattern.
http://mommabdesigns.blogspot.com/

mamaTAVE said...

I've been looking for a cute apron pattern. Need to make a few for work. Don't think I'll try this one though. If I'm going to have to modify (I am not 5'2"!), then I might as well just do it from the start without a pattern at all. I'll let you know how it goes, when I get around to it (this has been on my "to do" list since August!).

Panya said...

I'm 5'10" & my waist is a full 13" smaller than my hips -- NOTHING fits me! I adore that apron style but I don't think I'd be able to make garments from any pattern, vintage or new, without serious alterations.

sue said...

I love love love the apron you made!Girdles run in fear from me so I have no illutions of looking cute in anything let alone a cool apron. But I do wear aprons, love 'em. You did a great job making that one, and such a smartie for the change-up to a halter. Ab-so-lute-ly love it.

whoFilets said...

I'm 5'4 and my waist is 10 to 12 inchese smaller than my hips... I hope I can hold on to that! I'm only 22, no kids. At the same time, I'm Asian, and we tend to stay pretty small :D
That apron is super cute, I think the wide waist tie and gathering under the bust would make it quite flattering!