Pages

19 April 2011

Made to Match Strawberry Glory

I have always been a fan of the full skirted dresses from the 1950s.  This vintage pattern didn't disappoint. (*sigh* puffy sleeves)
60 years old and it's strawberry transfers were still intact!
What I thought was a dress pictured on the pattern was actually separates.

Which was awesome.  More outfits!  
Women knew their sewing techniques back in the 50s.  Darts, waistbands, and buttons.  This pattern uses them all.

I know that back in the day your clothes dollar counted so a matching wardrobe made good money sense.  I'll bet every little girl had a plain (handmade!) cardigan to round out their outfits.  I could learn from that.


11 comments:

Beth Hawks said...

This is really lovely! What a beautiful pattern set. Great job :)

Melissa said...

Awesome pattern! It reminds me that I need to go raid my MIL's patterns to see if she has any oldie but goodie patterns! Totally darling outfit!!

LB3K said...

So cute!

Deborah Raymond said...

What a cute pattern! I really love the shorts from this pattern.
I have a whole slew of vintage patterns from my grandmother, though most of them are dresses my teenagers will likely never desire I make them, but I've made many of the nightgowns and pajamas.

Jenn Girl said...

They do make it out to look like a dress! I also LOVE the full skirts from that time era! Beautiful pattern and great job on the outfits!

ange_moore said...

What a wonderful pattern - and yes, it really looks like it's a dress with a tied waistband. How clever and practical! And you definitely need a plain cardi to complete the look.

Mama Lusco said...

Love this! Need these in my size, too :)

The Cottage Mama said...

This is adorable! I have a serious weakness for vintage patterns - what a great outfit!!

Lindsay

mommypants13 said...

I love love love vintage patterns! This one is no exception great job!
http://mommypants13.blogspot.com

Amy Johnson said...

i love that in the last photo she's wearing two different shoes!

deerie65775 said...

That turned out WONDERFUL!! I love the old style, too. Makes little girls look like little girls rather than dressing them in 'too old' of style (not old fashioned, but too 'mature' if you know what I'm saying?!)..
Anyway, great outfit!! And great job sewing!!