Pages

06 April 2011

How to Make Ruffle Bum Baby Bloomers

This was one of the first posts I ever wrote.   I have learned to be more concise and to take better photos, so here is an updated tutorial for spring.
THE BLOOMERS:
Just as in the photo below, fold a pair of your child's shorts in half and make a template adding in room on all sides for seam allowance.  Cut out four from fabric. 
Right sides together, sew the inside leg seams together.  You will end up with two pieces now instead of four.
 Open up the two pieces you've just sewn and lay them on top of each other with the good sides together.  Sew up that big horseshoe in the middle.
 Turn them right side out now so they look like a pair of shorts.  The front and back will look exactly the same.  Choose which side you want to be the back.  This is where the ruffles will go.
 (This is how they will look once you sew them on)
THE RUFFLES:  Cut three strips of fabric for the ruffles, each 1.5 inches by 27 inches.  Finish the long raw edges (or don't finish them and let them fray).  The short ends will be tucked into the bloomers' side seam so you don't have to finish those.
 Gather each long strip to ruffle it.
 Sew each ruffled strip to the back panel of the bloomers, overlapping them slightly.  Let the side edges of each ruffle hang over a bit so you can capture them in the side seams later.
 With good sides together, sew up the side seams.  Finish the top edge and leg openings so they won't fray.
 Make a casing with each leg opening for an elastic to be threaded through.  Do the same with the waistband.
Ta-da!

12 comments:

Debbie V said...

these are very cute my mom kept me and my daughter (later of course) in these they make any outfit look so much better. I think little girls should be dressed like little girls not grown women.

Kortnye said...

Perfect! Google lead me here for a bloomer tutorial, but I'm signing up to ready everything! Thank you so much!

Kortnye said...

sorry *read*

Adin B said...

That is just the cutest baby bloomers ever. It makes me want to make one even though I don't have a baby girl. :) So cute!

Adin B

casserole said...

Love those ruffles! They're so cute!! I linked to your tutorial on Craft Gossip Sewing:
http://sewing.craftgossip.com/tutorial-ruffle-bum-baby-bloomers/2011/04/14/
--Ane

Melissa Lewis said...

I have LOTS of pregnant friends right now and have been wanting to do something just like this. Thanks for showing us how:)

Andrea said...

Cute ruffles!! It's sad I didn't start sewing when my girls were just a little younger!

Andrea
addicted2tutes.blogspot.com

Syd said...

Thanks for sharing this tutorial! I just finished my first pair for my niece!

debbieo said...

I got an idea while I was reading your tutorial. When you said to finish the edges of the ruffles or let them fray I thought of rag quilts and want to try flanned for the ruffles and clip them and let them fray. I think they would look so cute. Thanks for the great tutorial.

debbieo said...

Oh and I agree with Debbie V. Little girls should get to be little girls and not little women.

Hepp Katt said...

I love it! So precious! <3 Can't wait to make a pair! Thank you!

Jenn said...

Ooh... I'm so excited!! You have such a great site! I just spent quite a bit of time looking at all your fantastic projects and tutorials!

I recently started getting on good terms with my sewing machine (we weren't speaking for a while), and I've been on a hemming frenzy! That's all well and good, but I'm ready to move on to something a tad more interesting now. I am super-excited about this tutorial! Thank you so much for showing us how to make these adorable bloomers! I can't wait to try and sew these!

Following! Have a great weekend!

Smiles, Jenn @Misadventures in Motherhood