Pages

12 February 2011

Sis Boom 'Patricia' Tunic for Women ~ Pattern Review

Hello!  I'm Angie from Mama Lusco Handmade.  I've been enjoying Pattern Review Month and hope you are, too!

One of my New Year's goals was to sew more for myself and I took that opportunity in sewing Sis Boom's 'Patricia' Tunic.  Sis Boom patterns combine the talents of designer Jennifer Paganelli and the Scientific Seamstress, Carla C.  They did not disappoint!

This PDF pattern is a whopping 285 pages total and includes womens sizes 0-3x.  Carla provides 70 pages of instructions and helpful diagrams to guide you.  The step-by-step visuals are so helpful that even beginners could sew this tunic.  Each size has its own pattern pieces so there is no confusion or cutting on the wrong line.  This is only a problem if you normally grade between sizes.


The Patricia design options are what really impressed me.  It includes bell or straight sleeve options in 3 lengths, various length options from 25-36", and a facing which can be sewn with contrasting fabric and placed on the inside or outside of the tunic.  I've even seen pictures of the Patricia made into dresses and they are gorgeous!

Best of all, this was a quick-sew at about 2 hours start to finish. The fit was roomy and comfortable.  I added a lower front pocket so I could wear this as a scrub top at work.  The only other changes I made were raising the deep-V by 2" for modesty and taking in the upper chest by 1" for a better fit.  I normally grade from an XL shoulder to L waist to XL hip but sewed the Patricia as a straight XL so it was a little big in places. The princess seams in the tunic make it easy take in.  This pattern uses 1/4" seams, so there is not room to let out tight seams.  If in doubt, sew up a size the first time.


This tunic was surprisingly easy to sew and one that I will definitely sew again!  Next time, I'd like to sew a knee length version without side slits to wear as a dress.

Find Sis Boom PDF patterns on Etsy and many online retailers.

Thanks for following Pattern Review Month and I hope you'll come visit me at Mama Lusco Handmade.

And visit Brown Paper Packages here for a review of this crochet tank top and a pattern giveaway: