Pages

27 February 2011

Mixing Fabrics

Sometimes I get asked, "Hey Dork, how do you choose fabric combinations for your sewing?  I get intimidated in the fabric store."

I like opposites on the color wheel.


Purple and yellow - opposites.
Blue and red- opposites.
It helps to have a shamefully large stash of fabrics so that you can  mix them up in the comfort of your own sewing room, rather than standing at the fabric store with a pattern in hand going wh--aaatt?!

Some of you said you don't have access to good fabric stores and that your local store is very ho-hum.  What about something tonal in solids? 

And if you are mixing more than two fabrics, try carrying one color throughout most of the mix.  Each fabric in these bloomers features some orange.

Another trick is to try to mix a big print with a small print.  Look at this amazing outfit made by Lindsay at The Cottage Home:
The Cottage Home
She has combined the large scale blue fabric with a small print orange one.  This works to balance the outfit.  If the blue print was matched with another large print, it might not be so pleasing to the eye. 

So have at 'er!  Mix it up. 

6 comments:

Caren said...

Excellent tips! Tis is def. my least favorite part of sewing - picking fabrics! Thank you thank you thank you!

The Cottage Mama said...

Thanks for sharing my outfit with your readers :-). My favorite (but most challenging) part of sewing is fabric selection. So many options with so many possibilities. Great post!!

Have a wonderful day,
Lindsay

An Ivory Beauty said...

I was just thinking about this yesterday at jo-anns I ended up getting a large print flower in green and pink, and a green and white zebra print! Can't wait to see how it comes together!

Lori said...

I love the Cottage House!
Blessings, Lori

Melissa said...

I have always loved your choices in colours. If Wednesdays was younger than V I would have begged you for that pile of homemade(s) you posted earlier. But alas, Wednesday is growing like a weed!

Sweet Green Tangerine said...

That was super helpful for me. I'm so bad at picking fabrics.

-Jessica