Pages

09 November 2010

My Recycled Play Kitchen for $20


If you've been reading along for a while, you'll know that Mr. Dork and I built the kitchen below for Little V last winter.  So why on earth would we need another one?

If you've spent a winter in Canada, you'll know that much of your time is destined indoors.  I wanted to set up another area for V to play house down in our basement so that I wouldn't go insane starting at the walls of our livingroom all season. I hunted down these junk-tiques at a thrift store ($5.00 each):


Then added a thrifted set of silver coasters, a square wooden thing-a-ma-bob from Michael's craft store, and the letter J.

A five dollar cast off, also from Michaels (it even came with the little basket pictured in the finished project).  I love a sale!

The coasters become stove burners.  They are backed with a black rubbery fabric, so they stay put without nails or glue, and are easily removed.

The letter J is the sink faucet (not my original idea - I saw another blogger use the letter "L" but wouldn't you know my Michael's craft store was sold out of "L"s?).  The taps are old spools from another project.  I painted it all with a mix of white and black children's paints that I had on hand.  On the last kitchen we made, the real faucet ate up a big portion of the budget.  This time, about $4.00.

Doesn't the red paint make everything better?


I also changed out the knobs to silver and glass (leftovers from other projects).  Total budget, about $20.00 and the hideous nightstands are saved from the landfill!


22 comments:

LB3K said...

Awesome!

The Cottage Mama said...

WOW, that looks great! I love the color, the fabric and especially the price - SO creative. Awesome job!!!

Karla said...

You are so stinking creative!!! LOVE IT!!!!!

Laurie Anne said...

Fricken awesome! I love it...kinda wish I had someone to make it for so I could be a copycat :)

Gabby said...

I love this. I really want a kitchen for my daughter for Christmas, but I forgot that my husband and I can make one!

susan@tickledpaisley said...

Wow - that is fabulous! I'm so impressed w/ your creativity!!

kc said...

Is it too late for you to be MY mommy too?? This is aDORable!

Lisa said...

I'm totally impressed. I've seen lots of old- furniture-to-toy-kitchen projects, but not any quite like this. Very cool. :)

kathy said...

OMG! I have those silver coasters! LOL! I should totally copy this with them.

Resweater said...

That is brilliant, I absolutely love it! Pottery Barn, move over!

Melody said...

Very cute. Love it

Cathy said...

Halfway through this sort of project myself! Good job!

marisa said...

you are so clever! the red makes it pop!

PiccoliMonelliCrescono said...

Very very beautiful! i want to play too! :-)
Sara

Di said...

Excellent work!

yermit said...

Excellent! Well done. I wish my kids were little so I had an excuse to make one.

Renae said...

Those look great--too bad I don't have room at my house for something like that for my kids.

dear my kids said...

You are an amazing Mommy!!!

Pacokeco said...

Are you kidding me? This is genius!
She's mimicking the lives of traditional Italian families who have a "show" kitchen on the main floor and a "working" kitchen in the basement. V is so very, very lucky.

Mom Hearts Pinot said...

I'm inspired!!!

Jen Crum said...

I'm in love with this! Looking around now at our old pieces that could use some touch up and become a new kitchen set!

Mama said...

You have done a fabulous job and I may have to whip something like this up too for my little man!! Thank you for sharing!