Pages

16 July 2010

Sometimes the Best Things In Life Are Free

Living in a city where houses cost nearly half a million dollars, we have to be pretty frugal with our decorating budget.  I am working on a few posts about low or no-cost decorating, using what we already have on hand.

This week I made an outdoor table for Little V:
Obviously, the table itself is a stump.  For the chairs, Mr. Dork cut a large log in half.  I sanded and stained all the pieces. 
I was given some small pieces of oilcloth last summer and hadn't a clue what to do with them.  Then inspiration hit:  outdoor flags!
Add a tea set.  This one has been in the family for a number of years.
Some flowers for the table...
Invite your best buddies...


And have a little tea party!
I am really happy with this, much more than kids plastic outdoor furniture.  It blends into our surroundings, and fits the budget.  Hurray for Mother Nature!

14 comments:

Pris said...

This is the most adorable thing! Tea parties are my favourite! Great work!

Angela Pea said...

How Pretty!! I love the idea of oilcloth flags!

*sigh* I miss tea parties. Maybe someday I'll have granddaughters...

Melissa said...

Super sweet! And a great upcycling idea.

Laurie Anne said...

How very quaint! Such a sweet tea party setting...V is a super lucky little girl! xox

Sandy said...

How cute is that??? And I agree, it is sooooo much better than that plastic kid furniture! I am a new follower to your blog, can't wait to browse through all your tutorials, looks like you've got some great stuff :)

Karin van D. said...

Awww, adorable. Little girl's and tea parties, that is a super combination, isn't it? I think it's a wonderful idea to make such a natural party place for her. I bet she'll have lots of fun with it!

KJ said...

I love all of this.

Mrs. M said...

Love the table, chairs & oil cloth flags! I think I'll make a set for my boys. They'll love it. Of course, the tea set would need to be indestructable....
A friend of my MIL made a fairy table in the trees beside her house for her grandkids...this kinda reminds me of that...so sweet!

許志宏許志宏 said...

天助自助者~~大家一起加油!為了更好的將來!............................................................

Resweater said...

I love it! Now I wish I had a stump ;)

RusticOkie said...

Oh I love this so much!!!! I was just telling hubby the other day how much I hate the plastic kids table in the back yard. We are so stealing this idea. :)

Connie @ BhimiBlog said...

I can't even put words to just how much I love this! I used to have a special space of my very own in the woods of our backyard. She will remember this spot for years to come! Great job mama :)

Pacokeco said...

I could not possible love this more.
I just added "2 large tree stumps" to the shopping list on my fridge.

Mrs. M said...

Thanks so much for the inspiration! My boys now have a pebble bug meeting place thanks to you. I mentioned your tea for trees on my blog...hope you don't mind.
www.3isperfect.blogspot.com