Pages

19 July 2010

The "I'm Not a Boy" Dress

Those of you fellow parents with hair-challenged daughters know what I am talking about:  "How old is he?"  We hear it a lot.  Partly my fault; I dress Little V in a lot of neutral clothing.  How's this for a girly dress?


It's the same Simplicity Project Runway pattern I roasted last year to make the dress below.  (Er, you can see we haven't made much progress in the hair department).
 
I called it a Choose-Your-Own-Adventure pattern, however, after a year of steady sewing I am a little more confident now.  It still encompasses my fear-of-zipper-installation.  I'll substitute buttons any day!
And a pair of my uber-inexpensive legwarmers (made from 94 cent girl's knee socks).

Tres chic girl!

If it's not too hot at your house to sew, stay tuned.  I've got a few tutorials in the works.

10 comments:

Karin van D. said...

Ah, yes, really girly, cute! And I do see some curls there, don't I? I love those legwarmers too, by the way, great idea! (Although I don't have to try and put her legwarmers on today. Waaay too hot!)

Tracy said...

too hot here to even *think* of leg warmers.

Very cute dress, though! we got the "oh, he's so cute!" with my daughter, too. Then, when my first son was about 10 mths old we got a "she is so beautiful". I took him and had his baby curls cut off. That day. lol.

Chartreuse Moose said...

Darling! We love girlie colors! The leg warmers are clever...great idea! Thank you for a fun blog!

LB3K said...

Oooo, so cute! Love the leg warmers, too.

When my oldest daughter was about 6 months old, I had her in a bright pink jumpsuit-- we're talking LOTS of pink!-- and I had a man ask if she was a boy or girl. . .

Some people! ;0)

Leisel

Trista said...

cute knee warmers, and I love the contrasting pinks and blues. Beautiful daughter also!

Connie @ BhimiBlog said...

So sweet! I need an "I AM a BOY outfit" for my little guy...apparently khakis and a blue polo shirt don't shout it loud enough, so people still ask how old *she* is! P.S. I have a similar fear of zippers -- buttons are cuter anyway ;-)

Casey said...

LOVE that.

Panya said...

Don't worry about the hair. I was 'bald' until I was about two, and had extremely thin hair until puberty started. Now I have, as one stylist described it, "skinny trees in a huge forest" -- my hair strands are thin, but I have LOADS of them!

陳佑發 said...

要在憂患恥辱的環境裡,創造我們自力更生的新生活。..................................................

Collin Budd said...

Don't take it personal when people mistake your boy for a girl people did that to my child all the time but I love the idea of making a dress. My wife happen to see the post and thought it was a wonderful idea and was wondering if you could make her a womens dress..