Pages

15 June 2010

Ten Ways To Abuse a Turtleneck - Part One

Yeah, because all of you can find turtlenecks on clearance in the middle of June, right?
I bought this good quality adult XL turtleneck back at the end of winter for $2.00. I have a few ideas (maybe not really ten of them, but enough for an ongoing series) to use up it's parts. If you can raid someone's closet and find a turtleneck of your own, let's have some fun.

Today's turtleneck abuse tutorial: wide legged pants. (I know, I want a pair of those shoes too!)These children's pants use the body of the turtleneck. (Save the other parts once you're done cutting). I laid one well-worn Simplicity shorts pattern over the t-neck which is folded in half. I aligned the inner crotch seam with the double fold of the fabric so I won't have to go back and sew this seam up later. Instead of cutting shorts, I left lots of room at the bottom to make shortened pants.
See? (If you line up the bottom hem nicely, it will save you from rehemming your little pants later.)
Opened up you will have two of these.
Sew up the big horseshoe I always say.
Fold them out like pants and sew up the two outer leg seams.
Make a casing at the waist and thread an elastic through.
Done already!
Jersey, flared, short... endlessly cute!

10 comments:

RabbitStyleNews said...

I look forward to this series because let me tell you, I *hate* turtlenecks and I fully support their abuse.

BhimiBlog said...

Great idea! And thanks for the reminder that my son needs a few more pairs of shorts. Luckily, since I sew, they're now only a turtleneck away! Thanks for the inspiration!

KJ said...

perfect and so comfy!

Chartreuse Moose said...

Cute, cute and cuter!!! Just about to bag a lot of winter turtlenecks for charity shop...think I'll pull them back and start sewing! Thanks for another great idea!

Meander said...

Hi :) I'm kind of a lurker, but when I read your comment that you wanted a pair of shoes like that, I thought I'd pop in and say something. There's an Etsy seller, http://www.etsy.com/shop/emandsprout , who makes adult sized mary janes with cute designs a lot like those in the picture. I'm not affiliated with them or anything, I just thought I'd mention it. I do have a pair of yellow ones and they're so fun!

Melissa said...

Those look so incredibly comfortable.

Angela Pea said...

ADORABLE!! I want the shoes, too.

Attilio said...

these look so comfy and like you make them, you can have them any length..great, thanks.
becky

Mommafo said...

Okay, where did you get those shoes???? Seriously!?

irisgripri said...

Sooo cute and so simple, why didn't I think of that? Could also be done with other large items of adult clothing...