Pages

06 June 2010

Sew What? Denim Skirt Revealed, a Tutorial and Week Two Challenge




Here's how:


Open up the two leg panels and lay them sideways. They will be the fabric that forms your skirt.

I used a bit of an old wool sweater to cover the hole in the denim with a tree.
Stitched it over and over for texture.
It bloomed.

Lastly, I stamped on a little message.
It's an idea I am "recycling" from a skirt I made last summer for my daughter:

Finally, assemble the skirt panels at the side, then sew them to the top portion.






See what Melissa made here:


SEW WHAT WEEK TWO CHALLENGE:
The next challenge is a bag/clutch/purse with words. Any kind of words. Use your chosen fabric, some words and a healthy dose of imagination. Once you're done, add your photos to my Flickr group (link on right sidebar) to show the world.

14 comments:

casserole said...

I love that tree applique!!! I linked to your tutorial on Craft Gossip Sewing:
http://sewing.craftgossip.com/tutorial-refashioned-jeans-skirt-with-tree-applique/2010/06/06/
--Anne

The Answer Is Chocolate said...

Love the skirt, especially the applique, and most of all the idea of repurposing. I'm not that great with a sewing maching but I think I could do the skirt (if not the applique)

Lisa said...

You always make the cutest things!

Karin van D. said...

What a fun skirt! And that last picture is adorable. :)

KJ said...

You always amaze me. This is such a great refashion. I have so may pre-partum jeans that will never fit as jeans again, but maybe as skirts. Well done!

The Answer Is Chocolate said...

OK you inspired me, so I attempted this today! I linked back to your tutorial in my post :)

http://answerischocolate.blogspot.com/2010/06/not-headed-for-project-runway.html

Melissa said...

Wow! Your tree is so awesome! I love how out of the box you think, I am glad we are doing this! And the boots, all very hot! And I love the little black cowboy boots! I guess that is staple to the wardrobe in Calgary though eh?

Meredith said...

That is so cute!! I may just have to dig thru that pile of old jeans that is waiting for me to do something to it!!

Onna said...

OMG i wish i was a cute mama like you making fun clothes!! Sadly, i didn't even make it out of my PJs yesterday... worst than that... my husband noticed!

margaret said...

hi! just wanted to thank you for such a cute idea! i hope you don't mind but i used your tree on a shirt. i linked back to you on my blog. it turned out so cute and i've gotten a lot of compliments on it. so a big THANK YOU to you!

sewbeeit said...

Love that skirt. My 14 yo will go nuts for it when I show it to her. I should make one for myself too. Thanks for the how to.

Eco-Crazy Quilter said...

Good idea, I love your skirt, refashioning is so in right now and its great to just play with it.

The simple life... said...

WOW! I LOVE THIS!

Sean + Angie said...

Such a great idea, and I love that it's horizontal on the bottom.... Gonna try this! :)