Pages

27 May 2010

Shake It Up Already!

My blog will have it's first birthday at the end of next month. Looking back at my last 163 posts, I realize that a) I gab a lot and b) it looks like all I ever do is sew. But that's not true (er, the sewing part. I will try to be less wordy in my tutorials). Almost every project I make is something I can do in under an hour, so I'm likely to sew two or three things in one evening then post about them all week.

See, here's a very flattering picture of me not sewing: They don't call me Employee of the Month on this blog for nothing.

And here's Little V not watching me sew/sort fabric/cut out patterns while denying her her own pair of scissors:

This is why you don't see a lot of two year olds working at bakeries. We were baking Daddy a pie but she ate every last blueberry and we were left with only crust.

Now that we've been friends for a year, I think I'll start to mix in some real life posts along with the tutorials and projects. We'll get to know each other a little better. Add that personal touch that's been missing. I might even post some favorite vegan recipes or the code to my locker at the gym.

I'm shortening my blog name too, just The Sewing Dork from now on. It rolls off the tongue and I think it's catchy. I like catchy. Catchy's good.

Little V is trying to toilet train in the middle of me trying to wean her (again). I know, I know, all the books say you're not supposed to bombard a toddler with this double whammy at once. The weaning was my idea, and I'm further along than the last 5 attempts. Then without warning, she wants to wear underpants and pee all over her legs a lot (and sometimes even in the toilet). What's a mom to do? I think I'll start drinking again. Mr. Dork has several carboys of homemade port and wine on the go (he's a crafter too in his own right). See? Personal information. And gabbing too much. So I leave you with this little gem: Yep, she's serving me breakfast, toddler style. Two half eaten bananas and an empty water bottle were on the menu that day.

12 comments:

Gina said...

Well I'm loving the new direction already with the disclosure of chuckle-worthy anecdotes. You really are a dork, in the best possible way! Happy almost-year, and have fun with the toilet training... Just been there with my boy. REvolting!

Karin (the Mrs.) said...

Haha. I look forward to reading those personal stories. If this was a preview I guess we'll have some fun with those ;-) Happy almost anniversary!

Angela Pea said...

Happy Anniversary!!!

I'm looking forward to another year of wonderful projects and glimpses into the Dork Household.

Celeste said...

Love it. Good luck with the weaning and the potty training. I'm so glad to have both kids out of diapers. If you look at my blog it would seem that all I ever do with my time is read and watch TV. :)

Melissa said...

Don't change a thing about your wordy tutorials, we love them just the way they are. I also am looking forward to more personal posts, I enjoy your writing. :) And sewing, I do!
It is funny, (strange not ha ha) because my blog will be 1 year old July 10 (We're sisters!) and, as I was looking at my older posts, I realized I had left out the personal stuff over the last few months and am going to try and re-capture that.
Looking forward to seeing your blog be all butterfly-ish..

Attilio said...

oh this is a nice background colour, me likes the change and simpler catchy name. but please dont change your extra explained tutes, they make life so easy. would so like to hear more about you and yours as you always manage to put a smile or a laugh on my face!!! congratz for almost a year.
becky bpbajona(at)maltanet(dot)net

WickedThrifty said...

you totally didn't ask, but from a mom who has been there:

you could try tabasco on your nipples. INSTANT wean! :P
(my friend did this with her stubborn 2 1/2-year-old and it was like magic. she just went 'ick' and never went back for more again)

for potty training, i like letting them run around naked as much as possible with a potty in multiple rooms, NOT using pull-ups because they're too absorbent and don't make them uncomfortable when they're wet (those quilted toddler undies are better) and just having tons and tons of patience to clean up the floor, haha

best of luck! can't wait to read more- so glad i found your blog!

Jessica said...

I heart your blog- you're HILARIOUS! Haven't tried your tutes yet but I plan to soon.

mamaTAVE said...

Homemade port?!?!!..... Oh, I am jealous.

Cathy said...

Happy Anniversary!!!!You really do just crack me up. (Yes, I ended that one with a preposition, ssshhhh)! Yours was the first sewing blog I ever came acrossed, and you had me at "Sewing Dork". It was as if we were somehow related. Aside from your wonderful sense of humor, here is what I LOVE about your blog: If you look to the right, it reads TUTORIALS 32, GIVEAWAYS 33. Your funny, useful, and plentiful tutorials are always equal to, or surpassed by, your generosity. Thank you for sharing a year with me. I look forward to the next year!

Lydia said...

Wow, I can't believe you have been blogging for a year already.
Along with Cathy, yours was one of the first sewing blogs I came across. Really enjoy it!

hawadaere.blogspot.com

Sally said...

Oh yeah... bring on the vegan recipes!!!