Pages

10 May 2010

How to Make a Ladies' Simple Ruched Halter Top

Skill level: super simple.

Cut off the main body part of your hubby's tshirt to fit around your bust loosely. Or, if using a length of jersey, fit it loosely around your body then sew up the side so you have a tube.


Measure just above your bust for a length of elastic. Turn over the top once and stitch in place to form a casing for an elastic. Remember, jersey doesn't fray so don't bother finishing the raw edges.

Thread your elastic through the casing.

Now cut a wide length of fabric - about half as wide as the front of the shirt and 1.5 times as long.

Using your sewing machine, gather each side of the strip.

Distribute the gathered edges evenly and pin into place on the front of the shirt. Remember not to pin too tightly at the top as the elastic is going to need a little room to stretch.
Sew down each side, taking care not to stitch the front of the shirt to the back of the shirt like I did. Hem the bottom, or leave a raw edge.

Done! Admittedly it adds a little bulk to the front of the wearer where some of us don't need the extra bulk. If this happens and you hate the top, try trimming out the middle piece (leaving two small ruffles down each side) then add more similar vertical ruffles so that you don't look like Mrs. Ruffle Boobs.

Oh, oh - I set up a Flickr account to showcase your Dork-wear. I am not very techno-savvy, so I need you to test drive it for me. Special prize for the first person to post something "dorky". Be sure to include a link to your blog so I can find you and thank you all!

9 comments:

BJ_Mama said...

LOVE THIS! I am totally going to try this out for the summer! Great for a baby bump! :)

Caiella said...

Wow, love it!! Really want to try this, just gotta locate some time...

Kelle said...

I guess I am not techno savy either. I tried, but failed!

Sew It To Me said...

I love this and have an idea on how to make it work with my pregnant belly!

Robin said...

I love this shirt! I want to make one.

Anne Maskell said...

love it! unfortunately strapless and I don't get along, something about looking like a sausage? anyway, my three girls would love this! thanks for the idea.

I♥thesecrazykids said...

Cute!

http://atrioofboys.blogspot.com/2010/05/versatile-blogger-award-rules-for-award.html :)

The Cottage Mama said...

Love it - just presented you a blogger award. Here you go: http://thecottagehome.blogspot.com/2010/05/versatile-blogger-award.html

Have a great night,
Lindsay

0908LonniePettus said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.