Pages

14 April 2010

How to Make a Canvas Paint Mat




This simple, $2.00 homemade canvas mat has saved many a surface around here.
I bought a half-metre of unbleached canvas from the sheeting/towelling section of my fabric store (about $2.00 worth). I doubled it over and finished all four sides.
It is roughly four times bigger than a standard piece of paper, thick enough to absorb any spills and I have read that it will help keep the edges of wet paper from curling.

Maybe I should have covered her in it...
I like the simplicity of this. It rolls up for storage, can be used for virtually any messy craft, and is a nice alternative to plastic. I am really big on promoting natural surfaces like wood, wool and fibres for play. They offer richer sensory experiences than plastic, and the neutral color makes me feel less cluttered than when I look around and see colorful plastic toys littered around my house. A mess like this drives me mad: While clutter like this I can live with: I must have some kind of housekeeping phobia. Do you have one too, or is just a mother-thing to run yourself insane cooking/cleaning/picking up toys (and wiping off paint)?

6 comments:

Laurie Anne said...

It looks like V. enjoyed her paint experience to it's fullest...even the gastronomy of it ;)

A great idea! Love the mat...and as for the mess...you can never catch up so don't try, that's how I handled it when my kids were little ones...otherwise I would have gone MAD! xo

mrs.ladness said...

I can't stand the plastic myself. I limit its existence to one room....

Sew It To Me said...

Thta is a great idea and saves so much clena up time.

NestBliss said...

ha i feel the same way - wooden toys and handmade dolls are like part of your decor really - but my kiddo really like some of her plastic toys!

Kama said...

I just bought some canvas remnant to make one of these. Does it need to be double thickness? Also, did you sew it together and then flip it and edge stitch it or just sew it one time with a zig zag?

Casey said...

I've seen this done by a friend of mine using a drop cloth she had on hand, she doubled it up and sewed it so it would fit over her kitchen table with a bit of room at the edges. She also used some of that stay in place stuff they have for the backs of rugs so that it wouldn't slip off of her table whilst little hands were hard at work on art projects. You could also do one side canvas and get an old plastic fronted table cloth to sew to the opposite side, that would be perfect for non fabric friendly things like playdoh.
Also...I'm constantly running about picking up things and putting toys back. We've insituted a "10 minute tidy up" in our mornings just before the kiddos have a snack. I set a kitchen timer for 10 minutes and we all tidy up until it goes off, whatever isn't put away I don't sweat over, it'll get done at the next 10 minute tidy. I've found the timer works as motivation enough, there are no rewards for picking up after themselves as they should. My daughter needs a bit of help since she's only 3 but my boys 5 & 10 can pick up pretty much their whole room and make their beds in those 10 minutes.