Pages

25 March 2010

Ruined Khakis to Birthday Loot Bags

I make fabric loot bags every year because I like to think that they won't be tossed in the trash ten minutes after the party.
I got a grass stain on the bum of a pair of khakis, so I recycled the legs into eco-friendly birthday loot bags. Cost: FREE, assuming you already have some of this modern day marvel:
Freezer paper is found in the aisle with the tin foil and waxed paper. You'll find lots of tutorials on the internet to create stencils with it. I cut out a bunch of number "12" stencils and painted them.

When you peel off your freezer paper stencil, you have a nicely painted image.
I dipped the rim of a glass Mason jar in paint...

...pressed it over my number 12...




...and tied the tops with scrap ribbons.
Frugal loot bag fun.


9 comments:

Tina said...

Those are awesome!! I have been trying to figure out a way to stencil or stamp some words on one of my daughters t-shirts, and now I know something I can try, thanks!!

Melissa said...

I just made some very similar bags out of my husband old suit pants! Love the stencil idea.

Laurie Anne said...

OMG! that is too cool! :)

Resweater said...

Fantastic!

The Cottage Mama said...

What a great idea - thanks so much for sharing! I love freezer paper stencils!!

Lindsay

Melissa said...

Those are sew cute! I have never looked for freezer paper, I just assumed it was bought online...I'm off to the store!

Banana said...

These are really cool, I love that you used a mason jar as a stamp! Thanks for sharing!

Kristin said...

Great idea! You've inspired me- I've been trying to think of frugal Easter goodie bags. I think this may be just what i need!

mommyof2tuties said...

O.k, so I think you need a new name like maybe....The sewing GENIOUS!!! I LOVE it. Thanks my little girl will be three this weekend and if I hurry I can get it done....maybe.