Pages

04 March 2010

March is Frugal Month

It's time to put the family budget on a diet. I'm going to challenge myself to come up with a frugal gourmet of craft ideas for the month of March. Everything I make has to be under a five dollar budget but still be something people might want to make for themselves. Can I do it? I think I can, I think I can.

First up: I scored these microfibre bar cloths and discounted tea towels today. $1.97 for four microfibre cloths and $1.00 per tea towel.

Er, I bought a $2.00 hand towel too. Voila - double sided dishtowels.


Much more absorbent than a single wimpy towel for drying your lettuce or your dishes. And more absorbent for the endless spills of a toddler.
Functions as an extra dishrack when handwashing...


And they make nice hostess gifts too. (That's some stash flannel and ribbon I had on hand). Total cost per towel: about two dollars.



9 comments:

Laurie Anne said...

I KNOW you can!!! and you are off to a great start! Must say I adore your teapot!!! It's so beautiful. I look forward to more thrifty projects xoxox

CupCakeCutie said...

very cute! Love the idea!

Lynne said...

Frugal Month is a great idea! I can't wait to see what you come up with!

Melissa said...

Sew clever! I never would have thought to double a tea towel I would have just continued to complain about the thinness of the available one! :)

Celeste said...

I save every article of clothing with a hole and turn it into something else, a pillow, a smaller shirt for one of my children or a doll. My husband got a hole in the sleeve of his sweater and I'm going to turn it into a bag for myself. Total cost = $0

餐廳 said...

累了嗎?來杯咖啡休息一下吧! ........................................

casserole said...

Awesome!! I'm having towel envy...

I linked to your project on Craft Gossip Sewing:
http://sewing.craftgossip.com/cool-idea-double-sided-dishtowel/2010/03/05/

--Anne

dthneece said...

Inspired...why didn't I think of that! What a fabulous idea!

The Girl in the Pink Dress said...

That is so completely and utterly BRILLIANT. And now I feel stupid for not thinking of it earlier. Running off to make it now!
The Girl in the Pink Dress