Pages

15 February 2010

Little Knit Pants Refashion







Got these? Chances are they still fit your toddler at the waist but are too short.


Let's make these:


For the leg bands, you'll need scraps from a tshirt or other knit item. You will need two of the yellow band example below (one for each leg of course).



Fold it in half lengthwise and iron.



How long should that yellow band be? About one and a half times the width of the leg opening. I didn't measure, just eyeballed.





Sew the sides of the band closed so that you have a circle, then use your machine to gather slightly to fit the width of the leg opening. (Before I did this step, I serged the top edges together to keep them stable.)



Attach the bands, then pat yourself on the back. How cute would these be sticking out under a dress?



I added a scrap flower to a plain white tshirt (whenever adding applique to a knit, be sure to use interfacing or other light fabric on the underside. It keeps the knit from puckering.)


Well not entirely... but I can live with it.



The blue shorts are made exactly the same way, minus gathering the band to ruffle it.



If you've read this far, you'll laugh to know that I photographed a whole tutorial to make the navy and white pants - running up the stairs at each step to take photos in the natural light - and at the end realized I had no memory stick in the camera. Duh!

7 comments:

Nancy's Couture said...

LOL!!! I'm lucky my camera tells me when the memory isn't in it. What a great way to get more wear out of the pants. And soooo cute. I love the coordinating tops!!!!

JBlank said...

I have to borrow the kids camera to take any pictures, mine is always full! I have done a similar refashion but mine wasn't as good looking as yours. In fact, we refer to them as frankenpants!

casserole said...

What a great way to extend the life of a pair of pants!! Kids that age tend to grow up more than they grow "out".

I linked to your tutorial on Craft Gossip Sewing: http://sewing.craftgossip.com/tutorial-make-a-pair-of-toddler-capris-from-outgrown-pants/2010/02/15/

--Anne

Shannon said...

LOVE the navy & white ones because they would work perfect for the boy in my world - so many cute girly things in the recycle/upcycle clothing chain it's hard to find boy stuff ... thanks for the wonderful idea :)

luvinthemommyhood said...

So cute! I love this idea, it's going to come in handy in my household, that' for sure! I added it to our link luv roundup today http://bit.ly/cz2eus

Cathy said...

I was going to cut off and plain hem several pairs ofknit pants for my girl for summer. Thank you for showing us what you did with yours, and how to do it. My mind is nowing making some plans for some cute stuff. You are awesome, as always!!!!

Paxton said...

This is a Nice idea to make a fashionable night pants without any coast! I am surely make an attempt once like this. Just keep it up and Thanks for the idea.

fitflops