Pages

26 January 2010

Old Style Second Birthday



Vintage ballerinas. Ever year from about '73 - '79 I had these lovely ladies gracing my birthday cakes.


Loot for friends.


I had made this Little Golden Coat as V's birthday gift. I know, ugh... clothes.

Normally I don't go for overkill, but I'm guilty here. Originally I was going to line the coat with this Little Golden fabric then decided not to, so it became a skirt. I'd say "Ugh, clothes" again, but V adores the skirt because of the familiar characters. She's big on recognition these days.



Her other gift: an old doll bunkbed that I found antiquing. This type of old decals were on the crib that my brother passed down to me and I passed down to the next child. Originally, I was going to repaint the badly-in-need-of-a-paint-job-bunkbed, but the decals grew on me. Looking at these photos, I think I'm going to suck it up and paint. Anyone know of a way to save the decals?


Enough Little Golden fabric was left over to make some doll bedding. The upper bunk has a Sheryl Rae Marquez fabric that I've used several times before.


Dolly and Rabbit approved.


Yes, that's a beer in the background, but in my defense, I think she only drank half. KIDDING.

10 comments:

NestBliss said...

My little girl turns 2 this summer and these are all so sweet. About the bed what if you taped off a square (easy) or oval (harder) around the decal with painters tape. Then, paint around that with a color that coordinates with the decal and the color it is now. I don't know if I am explaining it right but basically just paint around the decal by framing it out.

The Sewing Dork said...

Oh, great idea! That will preserve the little decals. Thanks!

domesticbliss said...

You could even use a thrifted wooden picture frame, use wood glue and glue it around the decal, then paint both the bunk bed and the frame! Basically creating a cute little frame for the tiny pictures!

Great find, btw!

mamaTAVE said...

Maybe Mod Podge the decals prior to taping off and painting around them...? I also like the frame idea. Clever.
Looks like it was a fun birthday! We're gearing up for "four" in a couple weeks... Good grief. People told me time would fly but, GEEZ!

Posie Patchwork said...

Oh happy birthday!! Love the Golden Book fabric, too adorable. I also do handmade lolly bags/ party favours but seeing i don't have any crafty appreciative mothers of my children's friends . . . they are a little wasted but i don't give up!! Love Posie

Angela Pea said...

Hi! I was going to make the same suggestion about taping off and painting around the decals, but I like the frame idea even more.

Love, love love the ballerninas! My sisters and I had those, too, forever and day by the time we all progressed through childhood into the teenage years. I would be willing to bet that my Mom has them stashed in a tin somewhere in her kitchen.

The gold coat is just wonderful, as is the skirt. Honestly, you have the best dressed toddler in the world.

Hug V extra tight and wish her another big Happy Birthday from friends down south.

carmel said...

happy birthday!
great work!

Laurie Anne said...

Happy birthday to V and a great job on the birthday decorations and gifts...I love the coat you made her and the dolly bedding is ever so sweet. Thanks for sharing such a special occasion with us :) xox

Life as I know it said...

where do you get this very cute fabric???

The Sewing Dork said...

The Little Golden fabric is made by Timeless Treasures. I couldn't find it in Canada, so I bought mine on Ebay.