Pages

02 January 2010

Linen and Bloomers


I'm feeling nostalgic for the days of bloomers and bare feet. Here is my modern day version of sending the kids out to feed the livestock.



This is one of my favorite styles for dressing children. Simple and linen. Instead of noticing a loud fabric print like some of the dresses I've sewn, the first thing I'm drawn to is Little V's expression. And oh,oh,oh she's finally got hair!



I didn't use a specific pattern for this dress. Often I incorporate the same basic pieces into a dress and just change the details like sleeves or hem length. This one is a simple a-line shape that buttons at the back with a big chunky black button. The sleeves are shirred with four rows of elastic thread. The bloomers are from Hanna Andersson. If you're a fan of bloomers, watch for a giveaway during my Feeling Vintage Month (January 2010).



6 comments:

Resweater said...

I love the dress & bloomers! If I had a little girl, I would want her dressed just like that. V's such a pretty little thing!

Trisha said...

So cute! Both the dress and your little one. I love the bloomers, did you make a crop pant and use elastic on the bottom as your basic idea?

Laura Gerencser said...

Love it!!!

Sally said...

So earthy and stylish. I LOVE linen.
Your little girl's hair is so sweet - what cute little curls she is growing there.
The whole package is delightful.

whatthehay said...

I collect old linen clothes from thift stores and yard sales... this would be perfect. Would you mind sharing the pattern source for the sweet dress? My 19 month old would look so cute! And, congrats on the hair, we're still waiting for the hair fairy to visit...

Life as I know it said...

Too cute!! I love bloomer! My mother loved bloomers as well and thought they were quite necessary. She had us wearing them until we were in the third grade!