Pages

07 December 2009

What The Heck Is a Japanese Sewing Book?

Er, sorry, that's not a question. I'm going to show you. I'd heard buzz about these Japanese sewing books around the blogosphere, so I bought one on Etsy from a seller in Japan.


The book is full of glossy photos of clothes to make, each with corresponding numbers.

But that's where I'm lost. There's not a word of English in the entire book. The numbers don't correspond with the instructions and patterns which make up the latter part of the book. This is what they look like:


I thought, "Hey, I'm not the dumbest person I know... I can figure out the drawings and numbers." The measurements are also in metric which doesn't come as easily to me as "three feet long by one foot wide". So I could figure out how to sew something in the book. I think. Maybe. But instead, I'll just chalk it up at a $30.00 book of inspiring photos.

7 comments:

Anna said...

I might be able to help. I've done one pattern from a japanese pattern book. :) graham [dot] anna at gmail

Cee said...

Oh, I was so hoping you would clear up the confusion for me, but I see we're in the same boat! Hope you gathered some great inspiration anyway!

Nikki Cardigan said...

I don't think you should write it off yet as just something to look at. Think of all the amazing things you've done with NO instructions!

Jillian said...

Maybe someone one etsy could translate for you? I found one in German but didn't know if I could do it.

Pacokeco said...

Oh Geez, I'm seeing double just looking at the diagrams - are you sure those aren't the blueprints for the Eiffel Tower? However, knowing you, you'll probably take a course on learning Japanese and have those sewing patterns mastered by the end of the month!

Phiphi said...

Same here with me, but mine is bag pattern, which more or less I can figure it out from the diagram..:D... The japanese course idea is great though ^_^

lemonwoodclock said...

agh, i've wanted so badly to try a japanese dress book, but that's what i was afraid of (not being able to understand the pattern).