Pages

20 December 2009

Eco-Friendly Housecleaning


I made a few eco-friendly housekeeping baskets for friends this Christmas. I put in some of my favorite homemade things:

Some of those no-paper towels that I enjoyed so much in this post.


Homemade furniture polish bars. I use these on all my wood furniture, as well as to oil my children's wood blocks. To make your own, melt 1 part beeswax to 3 parts olive oil (add a couple of drops of essential oil like eucalyptus for scent if you have it on hand). You can melt it either in a metal pot (which will always have beeswax residue, so use an old pot!), or in the microwave in plastic containers. Pour the melted ingredients into a plastic container, let harden, and remove. When you are all done oiling your wood, you have the bonus of smoothing the leftovers onto your hands for a rich cream!

These genius reusable Swiffer Wet Jet pads. The tutorial is here on Look Ma No Pattern's blog:

There is a link to making your own spray to replace the ghastly expensive Swiffer kind in that post too.

A few crocheted dishcloths round out the basket.

One or two more gifts to make, and my Christmas crafting is done.

8 comments:

wholesomewomanhood said...

Those baskets look like the perfect gift!

Angela Pea said...

So totally cool on the homemade furniture polish! I need to give that a try. The baskets are lovely gifts - so useful. The older I get, the more I truly appreciate things that are useful and handcrafted. I have enough bling and fluff in my life already!

NuggleMe said...

Love those!

Resweater said...

I love it! What a thoughtful gift :) I made homemade cleaning supplies for friends & family last year.

http://resweater.blogspot.com/2009/01/more-homemade-christmas-goodies.html

Anna said...

Very nice idea, I'm sure the recipients will love it!!

Nishant said...

I love it! What a thoughtful gift :

Work from home India

mommabear said...

What a great gift idea...LOVE it!

Maggie
www.smashedpeasandcarrots.blogspot.com

Casey said...

You're probably going to see a lot of new comments from me on random posts today. I'm both catching up again on your blog, as well as a few others, and feeling crafty so getting ideas. I have to say, I LOVE YOUR BLOG. I love all the tutorials and how you upcycle just about everything and make things simple and easy. I have a notebook with a list of things to make from your blog sitting next to me LOL I promise, as soon as I get to doing those projects I'll email you pictures.