Pages

10 November 2009

Make It and Mail It Exchange (closed)


Who doesn't love getting something fun in the mail?

I always seem to be lingering outdoors near the mailbox every morning at 10 a.m. I can't help it; as a stay-at-home mother, mail is sometimes the highlight of my day. Oooh, that sounds needy, doesn't it?

You're all good at making something, so I thought it would be fun to organize a handmade exchange in time for the holidays. If you commit to play along (how-to below), you will make one handmade item for one blogger whom you've never met and mail it to them by the first of December. In exchange, you will also receive one lovely handmade gift from another blogger before the holidays. Pretty packaging is always a nice bonus in your mailbox. I know it's tempting (for me anyway) to get to know someone via her blog and start dreaming up items that her children might like, but the emphasis here is meant to be on you The Blogger. I used to work in a women's shelter and I remember that over the holidays, the women put all the focus on their children and other family members, sometimes receiving nothing for themselves. I'm sure in our worlds this happens too; we forget to take care of ourselves. Can you make a clutch, a scarf, a handmade handbag, a journal, an apron, an eco-friendly gift? (it does not have to be sewing related). I'm hoping that everyone receives something that they don't have to share with the kids or the household if they don't want to.

Here's how to play:

1. Post a comment below. Be sure that you either leave an email address or have one publicly accessible on your profile! You will make a handmade item and mail it to the blogger who posts a comment below you. Once a comment has been posted below yours, go ahead and contact that person to get their mailing address. I will leave this open until Saturday November 14th.

2. Because of time constraints on mail delivery, let's leave this exchange open to Canada and the United States only. Please be aware that this may mean a trip to your post office to fill out a little green customs tag. (Within Canada, you can avoid this with light letter-weight items). If mailing costs are a consideration, plan your handmades light and manila-envelope sized.

3. Please mail your handmade no later than December 1st, 2009.

4. As with other bloggers who have hosted these exchanges, I have no way of patrolling everyone's participation, but my experience has been that most people are honest. If December 1st rolls around and you are behind schedule, it sure would be nice to pop a lovely card in the mail and say "Hey, I haven't forgotten you - goodies are on their way soon!"

5. There is no price minimum or limit on this, nor any certain skill level required. Please abide by your own budget and talents; this exchange is just good karma.

So here I go leaving the first comment. Whoever is next is getting a ___________ from me.



Happy Hand-making!

21 comments:

The Sewing Dork said...

I'm playing!

Vindiciti said...

I'm in! Sounds like fun.

vindiciti@yahoo.com

Morgan Familia said...

Sounds like fun and I already know what I'm making!
jessica.barrus.morgan@gmail.com

Linda @ Craftaholics Anonymous said...

Count me in!!
craftaholic@rocketmail(dot)com
Thanks!

Eve said...

Yay! I'm in!!!

emf6874@yahoo(dot)com

rabbitstylenews said...

Two weeks is the perfect amount of time, long enough to get something done and not so long as to be too large of a project! awegner(at)gmail(dot)com

Pacokeco said...

I'd love to participate!!
cleesloan@yahoo.ca

The Sewing Dork said...

I am posting a comment for the following lovely lady since she can't get her computer to cooperate:
limes.sweet@gmail.com

lovemyabbie@gmail.com said...

I'm a lurker, but I'm in :)
lovemyabbie at gmail dot com

sew happy Stacy said...

Okay, I can't resist. You talked me into it. I can't wait.

Pelorojo@netzero.com

Melissa said...

Yeah I love it=) Can't wait!!

Melissawestphotography@gmail.com

Leslie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rachel R. said...

I am probably crazy to add something else to my plate - but I'm in, too. :)

A2JC4life (at) hotmail (dot) com

Leslie said...

opps signed up right under my bff=p

count me in :) so excited. mammatortilla@gmail.com

bethany said...

sounds like fun!
bethanypitman@gmail.com

Peace Sweet Peas said...

I think it would be nice to make something for someone who won't run screaming at the sight of it... of course maybe the problem is what I'm making????

Rachel said...

fun!

greenwoodpottery@rogers.com

mamaTAVE said...

Cool. I am in quite the gift-making mood and hoping that I am able to take knitting needles in with me to jury duty next week. Hmm... I'll find out!

dogwood said...

Sounds like fun! Count me in!

sallybway (at) suddenlink (dot) net

Nicki said...

I just read this. I would love to participate if I can still jump in?
nickicarnes@comcast.net

Rochelle Dsilva said...

This would be a perfect gift! Love it.
Jumping Castle Hire Melbourne