Pages

26 November 2009

Lengthening Shirts for Tall Kids


Clothing manufacturers confuse me; they often manufacture pants that are insanely long but skimp when it comes to shirt length. Is this some freakish cost-saving measure for them that I alone don't understand? On myself, a short shirt cuts me off at the unflattering waist point. On my child, the short shirt rides up when she bends over so I'm constantly worried about keeping her warm. This is just a simple refashion, but it has saved a bunch of clothes from the rag bag.

The panel I've added at the bottom of each shirt is a jersey tube sewn from purchased jersey (or the bottom of another shirt). No more drafty backside!
For myself, I made the same type of tube, but didn't attach it to any one clothing item. I just wear it underneath a shirt for that layered look like those pregnancy belly bands that you can buy for thirty bucks. Are they kidding?! Thirty bucks?

8 comments:

Laurie Anne said...

What a great cost saving idea! I find that the sleeves are made for orangutan arms {way too long) and the shirt is too short so this is great...my daughter won't be showing her midriff for a few more years {when she'll be cutting her shirts shorter on purpose} xx

Angela Pea said...

Awsome Idea!

dogwood said...

I've wondered this, too, about clothing makers. My daughter grows taller so much faster than she gets bigger so once she fills her clothes out, they are too short. This is a very good solution for shirts. I bet it wouldn't be too hard to add cuffs off of an old shirt to get that layered look and lengthen the sleeves.

:o) mg said...

I have wondered if this would work. Thanks for showing me that it DOES!

casserole said...

Great idea!! I linked to this on Craft Gossip Sewing:
http://sewing.craftgossip.com/cool-idea-lengthen-a-t-shirt-for-tall-kids/2009/11/29/

--Anne

littledeadmommy said...

Great idea. I think I might have to try that.

Casey said...

This post came at the best time possible. I read it last night and today while I was clearing out my toddler daughters dresser found several shirts that would still fit if not for being a bit too short. I'll definitely be adding some length to them this way and extending the life of some of her favorites, the others will be turned into either doll clothes for her dolls for Christmas or little blankets for her dolls in her doll house for Christmas. Thanks for all the wonderful ideas!!!

lemonwoodclock said...

i thought about making a band like that for myself. i'm glad to hear someone else has tried it and recommends it!