Pages

13 October 2009

Is Ankle Length Modest Enough?

I shared a floor-length little girl's dress that I was working on last week, but set it aside to make one for my eleven year old. Remember that scene from Gone With The Wind where Scarlett needs a nice dress to visit Rhett in jail so she can ask him for money? It inspired me to make this antebellum style Halloween costume out of some previously loved curtains.





Er, not that I encourage her visiting boys in jail and taking their money, but if it did have to happen, I figure an ankle length dress would be modestly appropriate for the occasion. She's rolling her eyes at me right now. She says she'd rather be a zombie cheerleader for Halloween.

To appease her, I raised the skirt slightly to show a bit of ankle. Wouldn't Scarlett be scandalized?! Geez, I kind of miss those days when people's thongs and brastraps weren't hanging out of their clothing...

4 comments:

angelapea said...

Yes. Ankle length is good. Safer to wear when visiting the jail, because you can run away (if necessary) without tripping. ;)

sew happy Stacy said...

I absolutely love that dress!!!! What a fun costume! I may have to make me one, not to wear to jail, but maybe to do the laundry in. That wouldn't make it feel so much like a chore then, right.

Stephanie said...

Amen to the bra and thong strap comment!! Uhhh....it's terrible!! BUT, that dress...adorable!!!

Resweater said...

LOVE the dress! HATE bra straps & thongs hanging out! ;)