Pages

03 October 2009

A Blast From the Past - 1974 Fodder


I've had this 1974 Eaton's catalogue around for years. I have a fondness for 70's style, and am working on an awesome retro dress to show you, but until it's ready I have to share some hilarious catalogue highlights. First of all, it's amazing that anyone was born in the 70's. Come on, if you came to bed decked out in these polyester numbers, do you seriously think you'd be getting some lovin'?

The dudes looked no better. Mr.-Pants-Pulled-Up-to-His-Nipples scares me more than the guy with the eyepatch. The woman in the photo looks like she's ready to bolt. Or is she just revolted because the man in brown is gazing lovingly at Mr. Pipe-Smoker's rear?

But at $209.99 for the Twin-needle zigzag machine, who could afford hand-made clothes?! Seriously, $209.99 was a king's ransom in 1974 (er, at least my mom says so. And she knows everything. Just ask her). Hey, if you have a Roomba, show your kids that monster on the bottom right.

Speaking of kids, raise your hand if you were dressed like this in all your school photos.

This poor boy is just asking to get beat up at recess.

The toy pages are hilarious. I'm not even making this up: zoom in on Ken. See the little closeups? Item #2: "Mod hair Ken comes with straight or curly combable hair, adhesive-backed beard, sideburns and moustaches (yes plural)." The banner above them announces that it's Barbie's Sweet 16th. Do her parents know she is dating a guy with a removable beard?

This behemoth EasyBake Oven was high tech back then. Mine was army green, but looked exactly like this.

I could go on and on, but I'll leave you with this disturbing image: only in the 1970's were you encouraged to point a weapon at your brother.

12 comments:

Laurie Anne said...

Thank You for that trip down memory lane! LOL...I had to share this post with my kids and they howled with laughter!
By the way...I love your writing style! :)

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and sharing the love! x

Pacokeco said...

Forget stomach crunches - reading this post gave me my ab workout for the day! OMG - the eyepatch... yer killin' me!

jess said...

hehe the eyepatch guy is hilarious! love your blog, btw!

ZipZapKap said...

The 70s were awesome! Let's not forget apron-chaps: http://www.flickr.com/photos/zipzapkap/3372115460/

The Sewing Dork said...

OMG, those apron-chaps are hilarious! I don't think I've ever seen them before, but I'll betcha someone on Three's Company wore a pair.

Mel Makes Pretty said...

OMG, I love this post! We must be on the same train of thought as I posted some lovely pics from A Burda mag of about the same time. Gotta love the seventies!
Oh and Apron chaps. We need to bring back apron chaps! too funny

historicstitcher said...

Wonderful! Thanks for sharing!!!

I had that War Horse, and it was the PRIZE toy around my house...I'll never forget my cousin spending the day with us and riding that horse until she vomited her lunch all over the room. She spent the rest of the day in MY bed, and I was SO mad! :)

Crunchy Sews said...

The Barbie Friend Ship!! Oh my gosh, I haven't seen a photo of that in AGES. I begged for - and got! - that for Christmas. It was lovingly cared for and passed down to my niece when I grew out of it. I also had that camping tent, although I don't remember if it was a birthday or Christmas gift.

How about the little girl in the pleated dress with no bodice? Doesn't it look like she's just got a skirt pulled up to her neck over a blouse? And does saying blouse date me even further? Does anyone say blouse any more?

Thanks for a fun blast from the past!

Lydia said...

This is the funniest thing I have read online in a long time. A really long time. I wish my husband had a removable beard and moustache. Sideburns? Heck yes!!

Danna said...

Just found your blog. Great stuff....and that ad with the eye patch guy made me LOL literally.

Love it!

Thanks for sharing, Danna

Shannon said...

Seriously, that Catalogue is worth something! Although you couldn't pay me enough to part with it if I were you ... well ... depending on how much was enough ...

Cheryl@Gingerbread Crafts said...

Mum bought my first sewing machine in the 80's I remember she paid over $300 for a basic run of the mill sewing machine (shh don't tell your dad how much it cost). I can buy a better basic machine for under $200 these days.