Pages

16 September 2009

Secretary Dress Refashion


I am supposed to refashion something and blog about it once per week as a guest on the blog Wardrobe Refashion. Here's my secretary dress makeover. (Nice hair huh? My photographer - my older daughter- told me to act like a model. That's me and my really bad acting).


I started with a long-sleeved dress shirt, some black silk and other fabrics from my stash.


I shortened the sleeves and added some shirring and a silk ruffle. With the cut-off pinstriped sleeve fabric, I made four tuxedo ruffles to add interest to the bust.


The skirt is a cross over style which buttons at the waist. I sewed the back of the skirt to the back of the blouse, so the whole dress opens up down the front for me to get in.


I thought I could change the sash now and then for a different look. I really had my heart set on something orange, but the orange one is perhaps too lightweight for the other fabrics. Anyway, I had fun making something for me again!

11 comments:

Nikki Cardigan said...

LOOOOVE that shirt. It is awesome.

Stephanie and Carlos said...

YAY... welcome to WR. I love the ruffles girl. I may have to try this on a shirt for myself rather than bloomers for my one year old hehe...

xo Steph

Mauri said...

The top is beautiful! I love all the ruffles. What a great dress.

tcarole said...

Super cute. I love it with the paisley tie belt the best.

daer0n said...

That looks awesome! Love it!

michelle@somedaycrafts said...

Cute! You have the body of a model!!!

The Sewing Dork said...

You guys are WAY nice!!!

dogwood said...

I stumbled across your blog.... This is wicked awesome!

las sandalias de ana said...

ohhh, nice!!! ;)

MANZANO said...

Lovely! I will copy it! Thanx for your posts: you are so creative...and generous!

Hearthandmade said...

i love it!! how did you do it?