Pages

28 September 2009

Confession #2 - I'm Not Staring at Your Boobs

I've become obsessed with how garments are constructed, especially blouses and bodices since they are the most complex. I'll be at the playground with my baby and find myself casting long sideways glances at people's shirts. I'm not staring at their boobs, but people think I am. I'm trying to figure out the construction of the shirt; how the yoke fits the bottom panel, how the darts shape the shirt...
A woman was wearing the coolest loose strapless cotton shirt at the waterpark the other day. The whole shirt seemed to be made up of different horizontal panels. I kept looking at it, trying to figure out how to make it. She kept looking at me, trying to figure out why I was staring at her boobs (not!)
Deconstructing garments is a really good way to figure out how they are made, but I guess getting arrested will really put a damper on a person's sewing projects.

8 comments:

casserole said...

I'm laughing out loud right now because I've done the same thing SO many times!! Sometimes I've gotten brave enough to approach the person and tell them why I'm staring at their shirt. I'm sure they think I'm nuts!

The Sewing Dork said...

I am so glad to hear I'm not the only one!!

:o) mg said...

Oh, you aren't the only one. I have been known to sketch dresses or blouses I've seen on cheap fast food napkins. Then they rattle around in my purse for a couple of weeks until I either get around to making them or toss them.

Gina said...

You are too funny!

Laurie Anne said...

That is too funny! I must remember that for any future glances/stares I may get...and all along I thought it was my 36 D's!;o)

Mauri said...

Too funny! I often stare at people's clothes too. I'm sure people think I'm some kind of weirdo or something. :)

sew happy Stacy said...

I do that with little girl clothes and I want to go and ask if they would mind if I looked at the skirt or whatever, but I know they would probably call the cops. Oh, well.

Cee said...

LOL I do this too all the time. My friends and women coworkers know this by now, but strangers probably think I'm crazy!