Pages

09 August 2009

How To Get Your Toddler to Be a Cooperative Fashion Model

I must admit I suffer just a little jealousy when I peruse other blogs and see these serene photos of the under-two year old set. I was all excited when I sewed this butterfly blouse and tried to reason with my toddler about getting some nice photos to post on my blog. Instead, she taught me that:

1) she will only pose in the ugliest possible spot of the yard where all the debris from our under-construction garage is piled; or

2) that she is happy to oblige me as long as she can empty the contents of the birdbath upon herself. You wouldn't believe how many photos (all different outfits) I have of her doing this.

I spared you the photo where she's soaking wet. If anyone has any toddler modelling coercion tips that don't involve tranquilizers, I'd love to hear them!

8 comments:

Ashley said...

Umm...me TOO! Check out my toddlers modeling shot today....from the back!

http://lilblueboo.blogspot.com/2009/08/fancy-skirts-and-matching-owl-applique.html

Sam, Adrianna, Zoe, and Penny said...

cute shirt! The only thing I've found that *sometimes* works is hyping up the fact that she'll get to see a picture of herself on the back of the camera. May take a few practices, but my 2 yr old loves the instant gratification of seeing herself in a pic that was taken 3 seconds ago. I also tell her it doesn't work if she doesn't smile....lying is ok, right?

technique #2: and this one only works like once, so save it for christmas portraits - I take a picture of her doing a few random things, simon-says-style, and the last one I take I tell her to smile. Like I said, doesn't work over and over again, and you'll get about 7 pictures first of her with her eyes closed, hands on head, jumping, etc. But worth a try.

Zach and Beth said...

I hope you get some good responses. I have two toddlers myself and can't seem to get any good shots, especially of them together.

Pacokeco said...

I see nothing wrong with the two photos you took! I would also have LOVED to see the one of her drenched!
Use props, work fast and don't stop snapping - I use the rational of sheer numbers - out of a hundred shots, there ought to be one decent one, right?

Lisa said...

I just came over from Wardrobee Refashion and had to read the comments to see if there were any tips here. I find that the inattentive toddler pics are still better than the "look at my fake smile" four year old pics.

Christine said...

Give her a prop that makes her really happy. A doll, bubbles, a pinwheel, flowers, you get the idea. Then the smiles come naturally. It doesn't always work, but that's the best tip I've got. You're welcome to borrow ideas from my blog at christiejim.sunmine.net/blog

lorchick @ ON{thelaundry}LINE said...

i know this is super old and way past but I find a snack like a sucker or something helps. Especially if you leave the wrapper and and they're focusing on trying to get it off instead of running around! lol.

Melissa at perryjayne.etsy.com said...

I bribe my kids with candy to take pictures. My daughter will model - she says "waddle" - for candy very well.
Also, I do show them the picture on the screen on my camera.