Pages

16 August 2009

45 Minute Wool Skirt Refashion


Everyone got one of last year's longer length wool skirts in their closet? Take it from so-so to wow in 45 minutes.
Cut off the bottom of the skirt so that when you re-hem it, it will fall at knee length.
Using the cut off portion, cut three sloped squares (that I'm going to call "triangles" from here on out because they should be slightly triangular in shape) in graduated sizes. The biggest triangle will go on the bottom. Finish the raw edges and press under.
Gather the top of each triangle ever so slightly. You don't want them too puffy, but you want to avoid them lying flat like pockets on the skirt.
Position the triangles on the skirt beginning with the big triangle on the bottom. I raised mine about 1/2 " above the hem. Lay the next triangle covering the top of the bottom one, then your smallest triangle overlapping that. Pin in place. Starting at the top, stitch down the outer edge of the triangles. Stitch the top of your top triangle to the waistband. The bottom of each triangle will be left open. I added a row of red buttons for contrast. (And don't forget the red shoes that make your legs look 10 years younger.)
See those wrinkles on the bottom two panels? They are a result of me not sewing the tops of those two triangles to the skirt. I went back and did it last (just hand sewing from the inside) and now the skirt sits smoothly. When I take another photo, I'll post it.
Another skirt I'll be wearing a lot!

15 comments:

Gina said...

It's just fabulous. Well done.

So Bella said...

Very cool! Great job :) Thanks for the awesome playsilks - my girls love them!

casserole said...

Wow!!! I don't have a skirt to cut down, but I'm seriously fighting the urge to run to the thrift store to grab one up right away!!

I posted a link to your tutorial on Craft Gossip Sewing:
http://sewing.craftgossip.com/tutorial-45-minutes-to-an-updated-fall-skirt/2009/08/17/
--Anne

michellejohnnie said...

I love all your "dorky" projects. You are talented!

fibrofashionista said...

OMG this skirt rocks!!!!! i love it!!!!

BJ_Mama said...

This is so NEAT! I don't have one of those skirts...but now I want to head straight to a thirft store and find one! Very Cool!

Pacokeco said...

The skirt is gorgeous, but what I really want are your legs!

luvinthemommyhood said...

LOVE IT! I added you to our link luv roundup today!

http://www.luvinthemommyhood.com/2009/08/link-luv-roundup_19.html

If you are interested in sporting one of our "featured on luvinthemommyhood" buttons just send an email my way!

Thanks for a great refashion!

Mauri said...

So cute, I love it!

urbancraft said...

I love love love this. Awesome idea! Thanks so much for this!

Nikki Cardigan said...

Wow... this is fantastic. Thanks for sharing your idea and how to do it. It's already on my 'To Do' list.

Bridget B. said...

EEEk! Supercute!

Bethany said...

I have a wool skirt I thrifted that is mid-calf length - perfect for this :) If I make it for wardrobe re-fashion I'll have to link to this! Very cool!

Paxton said...

Love to read it and also fabulous idea for making something different!
I have some useless fabric so i will make something like funny and cool, Thanks for idea

fitflops

moleremoval said...

Wow.. Nice Information about wool skirt, I love this wool skirt and Its look awesome. she look so beautiful after wearing this wool skirt. Thanks !!
mole removal