Pages

21 July 2009

Jeans to Bleached Denim Skirt


Recycle, recycle, recycle those jeans!

Unlike many jeans refashions, this one is using only the leg of the jeans, not the fitted upper part, so any old jeans will do!

I used two pairs of kids' jeans. Cut off the legs and open them up into panels.


You should have something like this. Stitch them together to make one piece of fabric large enough to wrap around your body and to reach from waist to knees.


Next, I folded my fabric in half and cut out an a-line skirt, leaving room to sew up both sides. It is tapered up to the waist.


Time for a bleach bath. Things I learned:
1. don't leave the skirt in the bath overnight. It will disintegrate and you have to start all over again.
2. leave your bleach/ skirt potion outdoors. It won't make your laundry room smell like the local YMCA, plus I think the sun helped speed up the process.
3. different pairs of jeans bleached differently. One went pure white, one yellowed. That was okay with me though.


Once the bleaching was done (about 3 hours), I sewed a casing at the waistband and added elastic. This sounds bulky but it is actually quite smooth due to the skirt being tapered. To tie in my two different colored bleached denims, I added an applique flower with a cool button. It's my new favorite skirt!

18 comments:

Millan said...

Love this idea, your skirt looks great!

michellejohnnie said...

Very creative! That is MY favorite new skirt too! love the bleaching!!! I linked at somedaycrafts.blogspot.com

angelapea said...

I love this! Not a style for me, but my teen daughters both love it too, and are going to give it a try.

casserole said...

This is so cool!! I posted a link to your tutorial on Craft Gossip Sewing:
http://sewing.craftgossip.com/tutorial-bleached-denim-skirt-from-old-jeans/2009/07/25/
--Anne

daer0n said...

This skirt is gorgeous! i am definitely trying this, definitely!
It turned out so awesome! Great job! :)

Gina said...

Oh, I like this. Think my figure wouldn't suit the the shape... but I guess I should try it and see!

Rachel said...

Fabulous makeover! I usually don't care much for things made with recycled denim but I looooove this skirt! The applique really finishes it off.

Jodie said...

Fantastic transformation. I looove this skirt too! The bleaching and the horizontal panels. I'm going to try out something like this. Thanks for the inspiration.

Tiffany said...

oh, very nice! <3
the difference in bleaching is probably due to synthetic fibers. a peice that is completly synthetic threads won't bleach out at all, and i'm guessing the jeans were stretch and the few synthetic threads that didn't bleach created that yellowing. i think it'll be perfect everytime if you use all cotton non stretch. ^ ^

Petra said...

Really nice and elegant!

www.minini.be

Jane said...

This is awesome! My dh just gave me a pair of his old jeans to "make something." Gonna try this soon!

Andrea said...

I just discovered your blog. LOVE IT!! I'm soooo going to try this with some jeans I can't wear anymore but hate to get rid of! Thanks!!

Pearl Girl said...

I've got to try this skirt. Thank you so much for sharing this idea :)
I ♥ it!!!

davis5gang said...

I love this skirt and have some jeans to use! My question is, what type of bleach bath did you use? Full strength bleach or did you mix it with water and what strengths? I can't find anything on the internet that gets it pure white. Most directions are for splotchy jeans or faded. Thanks for your response!

Neisha said...

amazing!! did you wash the skirt after you bleached it?

avantika said...

Its really a great idea. Thanks for sharing the great ideas to all.

joko809 said...

This is absolut brilliant!!! I have so many Jeans here and don't know what to do with them... until now! Thany you!!!

Helen Deeds said...

I love this skirt! It is adorable! I will be attempting to make it very soon!

Helen
Blue Eyed Beauty Blog